When we first received our invitation to Moldova last June, the first thing we did was pull up Google Maps to find out where exactly this country was! It seems that we are not the only ones unaware of Moldova, as we are often asked “Where is that?” when telling people we will be serving in Moldova.
Well, here is a map to help us all out. Moldova is the blue country on the right side of this map.
We have done a bit of googling on Moldova to learn about its language, culture, diet and political climate. We thought we would share some of the information we have learned so those of you checking out our blog will have some tidbits of info on the country where we will be living for the next two plus years.
1. Moldova is a small country the size of Maryland, which is located between Romania and Ukraine in Eastern Europe.
2. The currency in Moldova is the Leu, which is currently trading around 17 Leu for 1 US Dollar.
3. Moldova was part of the former Soviet Union, but gained independence in 1991.
4. Wine production is a major part of the Moldovan economy. Many families, especially in rural areas, make their own wine.
5. Chisinau (Moldova’s capital city) held its first marathon this spring.
6. Over 90% of the population in Moldova are Orthodox Christians.
7. The official language is Romanian, although Russian is also prevalent in some parts of the country.
8. People mostly eat according to the produce that is in season. Lots of meat is eaten, in addition to potatoes, beets and cabbage! Yum!
We sure have a lot more to learn over the next two years! Hopefully you will enjoy the journey of learning with us.